Inauguration of the Transferability workshop in UPV by Vicent Soler, the Regional Minister of Finances and Economic Model of the Valencian Government in Spain.
A technical workshop took place in the Universitat Politècnica de València, focused on small and medium enterprises, as well as research and technological organisations, to share the lessons learnt during the implementation of PROMINENT MED.
The workshop was politically supported by the presence and inauguration by Vicent Soler, Regional Minister of Finances and Economic Model of the Valencian Regional Government in Spain. Several inspiring lessons were highlighted during his speech:
• The Administration is concerned about the boost of innovation.
• The Administration supports European projects that seek into new mechanisms and methodologies that involve all relevant stakeholders of the quadruple helix of knowledge, like PROMINENT MED.
• The political models of joint cooperation between small municipalities as that of the Consorci de la Ribera, partner of PROMINENT MED, is a relevant example of political coordination that brings value and welfare for the inhabitants.
• Talking about Public Procurement is discussing about very regulated and established procedure across Europe, and introducing Innovation is a challenge, which future value deserves the effort.
• Public service has a relevant role for the economy set, in order to motivate changes in the productive network. Without innovation, we cannot compete in a globalise world. New strategies for the economic model have to take into account innovation as a cornerstone. PPI is a key instrument to facilitate participation and integration of large and SMEs.
• The most economic price is really the most appropriate solution for the society? This is the question.
• The incorporation of factors of innovation where usually price is the criterion is not easy to implement. For that, in order to cope with the regulations of the legal framework, it is essential that the assessment relies on objective criteria.
• Social innovation is also a new perspective to think about. The incorporation of social criteria such as gender aspects, or incorporation of disabled inhabitants has to be considered to go further than the simple acquisition of products, or even further than innovative products.
• Innovation implies risk, and therefore a control of risk is essential, even more when there are already well established solutions. The innovation in the culture of public procedure can be complicated but is a must for the public sector to develop strategic policies. PROMINENT MED is an example about how to organise the management of a public procurement of innovation. The foreseeable future deserves the effort to control the risks.
• The Valencian Regional Government, along with the Valencian Agency for Innovation is developing a support action to help procurers developing this mechanism to help collaborate developing the changes of the economic model. A guide of PPI was released in April 2019 with concepts, methodologies, and templates of documents, o help procurers jump into Public Procurement of Innovation.
More experts to come and share knowledge about Public Procurement on Innovation in the following posts. Be aware!